Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC)Integrated Resource Plans to be Considered at the March ACC Open Meeting
IRPs will likely be considered at the Commission’s next Open Meeting. The next meeting is scheduled for March 13th-14th. The next contingency meetings are scheduled for February 22nd and March 7th.ACC’s 2018 Open Meeting schedule hereCommission Discussion on Tobin’s 80% Clean Energy by 2050 Proposal.
Pending additional clarity from the Commission, it appears that the next steps will be as follows: The Commission will continue to take public comment on the Tobin proposal in the Docket; and the Commission may vote on whether or not to move forward with a rule-making at an upcoming meeting.Media ClipsUtility’s top executives donate to Gov. Doug Ducey’s re-election campaign, Howard Fischer, via the Arizona Daily Star, February 6, 2018Roberts: Arizona Public Service spending big to get Doug Ducey re-elected, Laurie Roberts, Arizona Republic, February 7, 2018Our View: Debbie Lesko could get the most done in Congress, Editorial Board, Arizona Republic, February 5, 2018Lesko picks up Brewer backing, calls for Shooter resignation, Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal, February 1, 2018Lesko, Montenegro breaking away in Arizona special election, KTAR News, February 1, 2018APS Rate CaseAPS’s confusing letter, Warren Woodward, Sonoran News, February 6, 2018APS challenges rate-hike complaint as 100K customers face deadline to change rate plans, Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, January 31, 2018Commissioner Andy Tobin’s Clean Energy ProposalArizona regulator proposes ambitious clean energy plan, KTAR News, February 3, 2018Arizona looks at 80% clean power target, 3-GW storage goal, Planena Tisheva, Renewables Now, February 1, 2018Energy regulators consider calling nuclear power ‘clean’ energy, boosting other goals, Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, February 6, 2018Arizona wants to be on 80 percent renewable energy by 2050, 12 News, February 2, 2018Arizona Corporation Commission plan calls for clean energy electricity, Daily Miner, February 4, 2018Arizona regulator proposes ambitious clean energy plan, Times Union, February 2, 2018Arizona regulator proposes clean energy mandates, Jonny Bairstow, Energy Lives News, February 2, 2018Arizona Regulator Proposes Ambitious Clean Energy Plan, U.S. News and World Report, February 2, 2018Arizona pushes record energy storage volume and aggressive grid modernization, John Weaver, Electrek, February 1, 2018Proposed Arizona energy reform addresses forest health, bioenergy, Biomass Magazine, January 31, 2018Arizona mulls biggest storage mandate as it aims for 80% renewables, Sophie Vorrath, REnew Economy, February 1, 2018Tucson Electric Power Wind RFPTucson Electric plans new Arizona wind assets, Kallanish Energy, January 17, 2018Climate5 things to know about Arizona’s drought this winter, Joshua Bowling, Arizona Republic, February 3, 2018Federal Tax LegislationTucson Electric Power mulling ways to rebate income-tax savings to customers, David Wichner, Arizona Daily Star, February 2, 2018
Arizona Corporation Commission Updates
Three Dozen Community and Business Groups, Hundreds of Residents File Letters Opposing Suspension of Tucson Electric Power’s (TEP) Energy Efficiency Programs
- Last week 3 dozen business, trade, and community groups and 300-plus residents filed letters with the Arizona Corporation Commission requesting action on TEP’s energy efficiency programs, many of which were recently suspended.
- You can access their letters here and here, respectively.
Navajo Generating Station (NGS) Updates
- Last week the owners of NGS rejected the Navajo Nation’s request for a 30-day extension of a July 1 deadline for the tribe to decide whether or not to extend the lease for NGS. See this Lake Powell News article for more information.
- On Friday Commissioner Andy Tobin sent a letter to Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke expressing his frustrations with the NGS negotiations. He urged reconsideration of his settlement proposal; and asked that the negotiating parties return to the negotiating table. You can access his letter here.
ACC Orders Review of Johnson Utilities’ Rates and Operations
- In the wake of bribery indictments involving former ACC Chairman Gary Pierce, the ACC voted unanimously last week to support an audit of of Johnson Utilities’ rates and operations.
- An RFP for the audit was posted on the Commission’s website and can be accessed here. Proposals are due by June 30. Docket No. WS-02987A-17-0184 was also opened for the audit.
- The ACC also unanimously ordered a separate inquiry into a policy change in 2013 that allowed Johnson Utilities and 27 other utilities to charge customers for the personal income taxes owed by the utility owners.
TEP Rate Case Phase 2 Schedule Update
- The Administrative Law Judge overseeing “Phase 2” of the TEP rate case recently postponed hearings to allow for more time for settlement discussions. See this procedural order for more information.
- The public comment session set for June 26 will still take place as originally scheduled.
Salt River Project (SRP) Updates
SolarCity Anti-trust Lawsuit Proceeds
- Last week the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected arguments by SRP attorneys that SolarCity cannot challenge its pricing system solely because SRP is a quasi-governmental entity. See more information in this Law360 article.
Navajo Generating Station
- “Navajo Generating Station Owners Deny Deadline Extension,” U.S. News and World Report, June 16, 2017
- “West’s utilities abandon coal because it costs too much,” Mark Pearson, The Durango Herald, Friday, June 16, 2017
- “Fate of Arizona coal mine, power station and tribal economies rests with Trump administration,” Ben Wolfgang, The Washington Times, June 18, 2017
- “Mine operator lobbies govt to keep sinking plant afloat,” Benjamin Storrow, E&E News, June 9, 2017
Response to Indictment of Former ACC Chair Gary Pierce
- “More fallout from indictments of utility owner, lobbyist, former ACC regulator,” Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal, Jun 18, 2017
- “2 utility-rate votes by indicted regulator Gary Pierce under scrutiny,” Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, June 16, 2017
- “After jolt from indictments, APS cuts ties with lobbying firm,” Yvonne Wingett Sanchez, Arizona Republic, June 16, 2017
- “Bribery indictments lead to review of Johnson Utilities rates,” Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, June 13, 2017
- “Arizona Corporation Commission to look at taxes policy and rates,” Howard Fischer, Capitol Media Services (via Arizona Daily Sun), June 13, 2017
- “Arizona Corporation Commission to probe Johnson Utilities,” Justin Pazera, ABC 15 News, June 13, 2017
- “Now under indictment, Gary Pierce was known for unpopular decisions as utility regulator,” Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, June 12, 2017
Suspension of TEP Energy Efficiency Programs
- “Regulators urged to boost Tucson Electric energy-efficiency programs,” Mike Christy, Arizona Daily Star, June 15, 2017
- “Some TEP customers left hanging as TEP cuts back on energy-efficiency rebates,” David Wichner, Arizona Daily Star, June 11, 2017
Palo Verde Nuclear Plant Explosion
- “Palo Verde nuclear plant still ran after backup equipment exploded,” Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, June 13, 2017
SolarCity Anti-Trust Lawsuit Against Salt River Project
- “Utility company won’t get around anti-trust lawsuit,” Howard Fischer, Capitol Media Services (via The Daily Courier), June 16, 2017
- “9th Court Of Appeals Rules SRP Not Immune To Anti-Trust Lawsuits,” Holliday Moore, KJZZ, June 13, 2017
- “Appeals court ruling lets challenge to Arizona utility’s pricing stand,” Howard Fischer, Capitol Media Services (via Tucson.com), June 12, 2017
- “Delinquent customers will be spared electricity shutoff on extreme temperature days,” SanTanValley.com, June 19, 2017
- “Phoenix braces for 120-degree, record heat,” Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal, June 16, 2017
- “Arizona power companies prepared to deliver during heatwave,” Jim Cross, KTAR News, June 16, 2017
- “Arizona Public Service prepares for Monsoon season,” Dallis Ontiveros, ABC 5 News, Posted: June 14, 2017
- “The Results Are In: Here Are The Most Energy-Efficient Utilities In The U.S.,” The Energy Collective, June 15, 2017
- “Rural Electricity Co-op Building Solar Farm To Generate 20 MW Near Wilcox,” Casey Kuhn, KJZZ, June 15, 2017
- “UA Tech Park Opens Huge New Solar Array,” Eddie Celaya, The Daily Wildcat, June 16, 2017
- “Solar report has high hopes for Arizona,” Emergy Cowan, Arizona Daily Sun, June 14, 2017
- “AEPCO readies 20 MW Apache Solar Plant,” Charles Thurston, PV Magazine, June 12, 2017
- “Bashas’ Installs Sustainable Thermal Energy Storage System Solution implemented at grocer’s Phoenix-area DC,” Progressive Grocer, June 13, 2017
Departure of Tim Hogan from Arizona Center for the Law in the Public Interest
- “Hogan leaving Arizona Center for Law in the Public Interest,” Howard Fischer Capitol Media Services (via White Mountain Independent), June 13, 2017
- “Tim Hogan leaving as director of Arizona public law center,” Howard Fischer Capitol Media Services (via Tucson.com), June 10, 2017
- “How APS linemen get your power back on Preparing for monsoon season 2017,” The Daily Courier, June 18, 2017
APS Rate Case
“Our View: Off-peak power use a worthy goal, but difficult for some,” (Editorial) Arizona Daily Sun, April 12, 2017
“Yuma Public Comment Session on APS Proposed Rate Hikes,” Maya Robnett, KAWC, April 12, 2017
“With coal plant’s shaky future, many in Page look toward tourism,” Emery Cowan, Arizona Daily Sun, April 17, 2017
“Tobin Addresses NGS Situation,” Mike Reilley, Lake Powell News, April 19, 2017
“Pinnacle West Declares Quarterly Dividend,” Yahoo Finance, April 19, 2017
Coal-fired Generation/ Navajo Generating Station (NGS)
“Battle to Save a Dying Arizona Coal Plant Heads to Washington,” Catherine Traywick, Bloomberg, April 12, 2017
“Mine executive: If NGS closes, price of electricity will increase,” Staff Reports, White Mountain Independent, April 11, 2017
“Business awards earned in Southern Arizona,” Arizona Daily Star, April 11, 2017
“KB Home Celebrates Family’s Savings Success in Builder’s 100,000th Energy Star® Home Business Wire,” Business Wire, April 19, 2017
“Arizona Corporation Commission approves community solar agreement,” Daily Energy Insider, April 12, 2017
“UniSource dedicated to clean energy: Steven H. Jacobson Solar Facility can provide electricity to 900 homes,” Hubble Ray Smith, Daily Miner, April 12, 2017
“SRP program helps customers choose solar installer,” Mesa Independent, Apr 17th, 2017 ·
“Intel to unveil huge solar array in Chandler,” Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, April 20, 2017
“Utilities experiment with big batteries in Phoenix to tackle one of solar’s major problems,” Ryan Randazzo, Arizona Republic, April 20, 2017
“Arizona Utility SRP Announces Large Solar+Storage Project,” Joseph Bebon, Solar Industry Magazine, April 21, 2017